Winter Skin Fixes
The temperatures are dropping here in Austin, and with the changing seasons can come some not-so-pretty changes in your skin. Clients come to us looking to fight dryness, dullness, flakiness, sensitivity, and other issues this time of year, and we totally understand! Texans' skin, including ours, thrives in hot days and balmy nights, so when winter comes, we're all looking for the perfect products and procedures to bring our skin back to its best self. We've got the solution to all of your cold weather skin woes, and lucky for you, we're going to spill, so read on!
Step #1 for flawless winter skin is to put your complexion in the hands of a professional! All of our facials are customized to your needs, based on skin type, issues, season, and so many more factors. Our Signature Seasonal Facial for November is the Corrective Pumpkin Apple Facial, a fabulously fall scented service that also packs a powerful punch with a super moisturizing mask, antioxidant packed serums, and a custom blended peel. As with any peel, but especially this time of year, we recommend a series of 4 for optimal, long-lasting results, and our current package special for this service can't be beat - give us a call or come in to the salon to find out more!
Step #2 is corrective skincare for the issues winter brings on that is also gentle enough to keep your skin balanced and calm post-treatment. Our top picks are:
Rhonda Allison Brightening Scrub - this jojoba bead scrub provides cutting-edge brightening power with deep cleansing capabilities. Enhanced with antibacterial and antioxidant support, this scrub gives skin a luminous glow, but is gentle enough for everyday use.
Rhonda Allison Growth Factor Serum - supports collagen and elastin activity and improves skin’s regenerative capabilities while balancing moisture content for even the driest skin, this silky serum is a must for post-peel skin.
Rhonda Allison Retinol Supreme - retinol increases cellular turnover to reveal fresh new skin, and this super-charged serum gives your skin maximum rejuvenation support - texture, fine lines, and overall appearance are all improved with this powerhouse product.
Step #3, especially for this time of year, is moisturize, moisturize, moisturize! And not with just any old product, as so many on the market are filled with icky things you do not ever want in or on your skin, and some just plain old aren't effective. Our recommendations?
Inventive Eco Organic Antioxidant Infusion Balm - also our product pick of the month, this beauty infuses skin with antioxidants and moisture with its fully organic combination of delightful nut butters, exotic ozonated oils, vitamins and herbal extracts. From the delicate eye area to the dryest elbows and knees, this multi-use product instantly nourishes and hydrates all types of skin.
Inventive Eco Organic Herbal Healing Emulsion - a calming, anti-inflammatory gel featuring aloe vera, MSM, arnica, and calendula, this emulsion gently heals the toughest skin issues, like excessive dry skin, rashes, even burns.
Inventive Eco Organic Hyaluronic Serum - hyaluronic acid, a natural humectant which can hold up to 1,000 times its weight in water, constitutes 40 percent of this high-quality formula. This serum moisturizes, supports collagen and elastin activity and improves the skin’s regenerative capabilities, making skin firm and fresh.
All of these products and services are available at Blink, of course! In the end, though, only a professional can create a custom protocol to keep your skin looking and feeling its best all winter long. Book a service or stop by the salon to talk to one of our estheticians about what products will be best for you and create your personal skin system!
READ More >
Spring Brazilian/Bikini Waxing Tips!
Getting ready for all those Springtime outdoor events will surely involve getting in a bathing suit very soon. Give yourself one less thing to worry about by booking that Brazilian or Bikini wax stat, and follow these tips to ensure a flawless service from start to finish and long-lasting smooth skin!
- First of all, be sure the hair is long enough to be waxed- this means no shaving for at least two weeks. For the best results about a ¼ inch of hair growth is needed. “No” we are not suggesting you get a ruler out just know that it’s about two weeks since your last shave.
- Give yourself at least two to three days between the waxing and when you plan to bare your skin to the sun and the elements, so book ahead!
- Exfoliating your skin a few days before waxing helps to prevent the likelihood of ingrown hairs, removes dead skin and makes waxing faster and easier. After your wax, wait at least 48 hours and then exfoliate again, to prevent any ingrown hairs.
- Sorry, but no, you can't work out for 24 hours after your wax.
- If you're getting waxed for a big event like a wedding or vacation, and it's your first time or it's just been a while since your last wax, we recommend scheduling two waxing sessions, one about a month before your event, and then another one at least 2 to 3 days before the event. Your first wax won't always be 'perfect' due to hair growth cycles, but the second wax will be, once every hair follicle is on the same 'schedule', so to speak!
Since you bare it all to us, I'll do the same: here's my (Gloria's) waxing horror story!
One time in the middle of the Texas summer heat I got my Brazilian wax. Then later that day, forgetting that I got my very sensitive bits waxed, I went for a long bike ride. Let's just say that sweating, heat, and friction are all a recipe for disaster for post-waxed skin. My skin did NOT react well, so don’t do that to your beautiful self! Give your skin some time to heal before doing any strenuous activities, but especially in this very intense Texas heat!
READ More >
Allergy Season is Upon Us!
As we all know, living in Austin is the best, but allergy season can be a rough time of the year for many Austinites. The natural function of eyelashes is to keep things out of our eyes, so when we wear extensions airborne allergens can become trapped in them. While we should always try and keep our eye area clean, it is extra important during this time of year to avoid any added side effects for allergy sufferers! Here are a few steps to take to ensure you are keeping your eye area in tip top condition.
- Use a lipstick wand or a q-tip soaked in water, saline solution, or oil-free makeup remover to clean the ENTIRE eye area from brow to lash line at least once a day. This will keep any allergen-laden debris from building up around your eye and getting into the lash area, and as an added bonus it will help make your lashes last longer, too! Lipstick wands work best to avoid q-tip fuzzies getting stuck in the lashes and we have lipstick wands available at our salons, just ask us at your next visit.
- Use a mascara wand to brush your lashes after showering while the lashes are still wet. This will also help remove any debris that has made its way into your lashes to prevent build up which can cause irritation and lash loss.
- Taking an over the counter antihistamine will usually offer some relief for most allergy symptoms. There are also natural antihistamine options that are specifically tailored to our region available at most Austin local natural food stores.
- When airborne allergens are high, we may be rubbing or touching our eyes more often than usual, so be as mindful as possible about not touching your eyes. If you’re worried about rubbing your eyes while you sleep, Blink sells sleep masks specifically designed for lash extensions!
As you can see, allergy season doesn’t have to mean that your lash extensions go out the window! Follow these tips and you’ll see a big improvement with any irritation you may be experiencing, not to mention that you’ll keep your lashes fuller, fluffier, and lasting longer than ever - and who doesn’t want that?